Hello everyone! I'm writing this to let you all know first off I'm safe and sound in Rwanda! So far everything has been quite a whirl-wind I feel as if I've done a lot, seen a lot and also not slept a lot :( I don't think I'm fully adjusted yet as it takes me some time to fall asleep at night... but I'm sure with time it will get better (especially since the kids at the orphanage have for sure tired me out on my first few days!)
I survived my long travels here, although found that traveling alone, especially for the first time, and going abroad is not very fun!! I think I spent most of the 32 hours (Besides the 2nd long flight) being scared and worried! But alas, I'm a pro-traveler now... (haha ;) I got to Kigali around 8:00 am and found out my baggage was lost (dont' worry I've gotten it now) and also to find my driver picking me up, did not speak english.. after a CRAZY 10-15 minute drive I got dropped at our guesthouse and was alone without other volunteers/enlgish speakers for most of the day. Needless to say with all the culture shock, I was really overwhelmed and wanted nothing but to return home (To my parents Adam and roomatesI'm sorry for the frantic emails)
Now, it has been a week since I left and I'm doing better, although at times I still get very overwhelmed.. which I'll get back to. For some things I have done..
Day 1: Participated in the Rwandan National Heroes Day. It was really neat I got to try my lot at traditional dancing haha I'm sure I was really good (but not really;) Next I went into town experienced the bus system for the first time ( you really cram into 15 passenger vans!) Then that night, I went to a concert with all the other volunteers and was surprised to find out it was a LOUD hip hop/rap moshpit style concert :( boo I was very overwhelmed being my first day and all... oh well it was an experience and I was happy when we finally made it back to the guesthouse.
Day 2: Training day: It was great! I felt a lot more at ease after getting an overview of the project and especially after meeting Willy and Claire (who right away gave us her phone number and tells us, any problems or ?s please call!) She's really great she even called to see if we made it home safe from the orphanage after we got caught in the first rain it down poured!!) After going over some basics, we went to the Kigali Genocide Memorial. It was amazing and so moving and since I don't feel my blog can describe it properly I would love to talk about it with you when I am back.
Day 3: Gisimba orphanage. Here is where I will be volunteering for the next 10 weeks it is pretty great. At first I felt like an outsider but now after my second day there and playing with and teaching I feel like it is one of the very few places in Rwanda where I fit in so far. I worked in the kindergarten in the morning where lots of adorable children latched on to me! During playground time I herded them like cattle because I had about five on each arm and two around my waist! Then in the afternoon, I spent it in the orphanage with the older kids and we played "basketball" but they have no nets, so we basically played 2 on 2 keep away. I think the kids were surprised that the "muzungo" (my new name here meaning white person as it gets shouted on the streets...) was playing basketball.. It was fun I felt more at home my second day. It is quite a trek to get to Gisimba (in the Nyamirambo district of kigali which is quite huge) I live in Kimironko district..
Overall, I feel a little lost every day but slowly am learning which I've learned to say *(bohoro bohoro (spelling?) I am doing well overall the people here are generally quite nice, the workers in my house, at FVA and the orphanage are all wonderful and very helpful! But I have felt quite overwhelmed I think especially realizing I will never fully fit in and that has eben a huge challenge for me. It often makes me feel as if 10 weeks is a long time. I also think and hope I will just grow accustomed to my sticking out "muzungo-ness" and although I may not fit in everywhere in Rwanda, it sure made me feel at home my second day in the orphanage with the children! I love you and miss you all very much!!! I think this weekend I will be traveling to Giseyni near Lake Kivu across the border of the Congo! Should be fun hear it's beautiful :) Hope all is well :)
Friday, February 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Annie, Wow, it sounds like there is a lot for you to take in - don't worry, it will start to get a little easier as time goes by. Thank you for sharing your travels and this incredible experience with us! Take care. Carol
ReplyDeleteHey Annie,
ReplyDeleteYour dad has been filling me in on getting ready for the trip and such- needless to say, I'm excited that you sought out such an awesome opportunity. You will learn and grow so much from this trip! The Anoka High School Social Studies Department is extremely proud of you and will be following all your travels! Take lots of pictures and enjoy every minute!
Be well and do good work,
Andrew Frosch
Annie! Just wanted you to know that I'm reading your blog =] Sounds like it's wonderful over there, I can't wait to hear more!
ReplyDeleteHi Annie,
ReplyDeleteWhat an adventure! I hope everything is going well so far, and that you are feeling a little less overwhelmed. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you!
Andrea
Ah PP!
ReplyDeleteI was so excited to see that you had posted!
The thought of you playing with Rwandan kindergardeners reminds me of when you came to work with me last year. I am certain they love you!
I know you will continue to get accustomed to things and have such great adventures.
I will be praying for you (and everyone at church since I shared about your travels).
Peace,
your PP